Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Connections

Right before we started the application process my husband and I were fortunate to talk to a couple that had just gotten into a program.  They came over for dinner and we chatted about the process they took and what to expect as well as any tips they had. 
 
Some couples may start the omfs process with more information readily available, but no one in our families are in the medical field and we felt completely blind to the process.  They were so helpful all along the way. And not just the first night we talked to them.  One thing the wife mentioned to me was to make as many connections as possible.  I have tried to do that and it has helped a lot! 
 
One thing I learned is that there are a lot of similarities with the programs, but that each program is unique.  The advice from one person may not apply to a program you get in to.  For me, I still appreciated knowing the different possibilities that our future could hold.  In my experience, every resident's wife was very willing to answer questions about their specific program.  It is a busy lifestyle though so it is good to give someone plenty of time to respond.
 
Have a list of questions ready about anything and everthing.  You can't know too much about the program and the area when you are deciding how to put together your rank list.
 
I hope you will take advantage of this blog to make some connections and ask questions you have.  And if you come across more connections, please feel free to direct them here if they want to particiapte.

No comments:

Post a Comment